Larkin Company Warehouse
726 Exchange Street
architect: Lockwood, Greene, & Company
owner: Larkin Soap Company (1913)
Graphic Controls (1967)
Cityview Properties (2002)
First Niagara Financial Group (2009)
years built: 1913
While the steel construction of commercial buildings was generally masked with conventional masonry forms, the reinforced concrete of industrial buildings was generally exposed.
Impressive because of its size and regularity, this warehouse has certain refinements of design in the placing of the brick filled bays and the excellent proportions.
This is an example of the new vocabulary of twentieth century architectural form as it was developed by engineers using new methods of construction and with little thought aesthetic effect.