Second Court House
Washington and Broadway Streets
architect: Joseph Ellicott
owner: Erie/Niagara County
years built: 1825-1855
The elegant colonnade, the delicate Bulfinch-like cupola, serve to indicate that the new Buffalo is no longer a frontier settlement, but a town architecturally closer to the eastern seaboard and the attenuated Classicism of the Post-Colonial, as transmitted by the books of Asher-Benjamin and Owen Biddle.